“… an embarrassingly easy dish …”
Gnocchi, fondly known as nookie in our house. My sick sense of humour always gets me the one eyebrow raise or the squinty side eye from the waiter when I ask for nookie for dinner. Haha, I say, I meant gnocchi. Get it? Right. Says the server rolling his eyes.
Get a sense of humour people, c’mon! It’s funny! How can anyone not think that is funny? Jeez.
This is an embarrassingly easy dish that I wasn’t sure I would talk about. But after I made it and ate it. Well. This dish is just very good and easy and fast, and I’m sure there is someone out there that may appreciate it. I always buy the pre made gnocchi, because I once had an incident where I tried making gnocchi after learning how to at a cooking school in Italy years ago. Hello gnocchi gong show in my kitchen, how are you? For those of you that can make it from scratch, I am envious of your superior skills.
So either way, nookie or gnocchi, I know you’ll enjoy. ♥
- 1 lb Gnocchi
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup/8 oz ball of fresh Mozzarella cheese, sliced in ¼ inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the gnocchi as per package directions.
- In an oven friendly skillet* over medium heat, saute garlic in olive until translucent.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes and kick up the heat to bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, season with salt and pepper and let simmer for five minutes.
- When gnocchi is ready, drain it and transfer it to to the tomato sauce skillet.
- Stir well so that all of the gnocchi is covered with tomato sauce.
- Spread the sliced Mozzarella evenly onto the gnocchi mixture and pop into the oven for 20 to 25 minutes - until the top is golden and bubbling.
- Serve hot.
- * I would not recommend using a cast iron skillet for this dish. I did and discovered that because the gnocchi is so mild in flavour, it absorbed a lot of the iron taste from the pan.