“… i do not like potatoes …”
Big debate these last couple of weeks about potato salad! Important subject? Perhaps to some. Important to me? Not until I started playing around with potato salad! In these last two weeks, I’ve made and eaten more potato salad than I ever have in my whole entire existence. I have become obsessed with the perfect potato salad.
Oh, and let me mention that I do not like potatoes. Nope. Don’t like ’em. However I have friends and family that do so I took one for the team and did some experimenting. I wanted to find a recipe that I would enjoy. I didn’t want to have an overlooked, disremembered bowl of potatoes on my table.
My first omit was anything with mayo based dressings. I decided German style with lots of different inviting ingredients playing off the potatoes is the most flavoursome and probably a bit more healthier. Case in point: green onions, celery, sweet pickles, grainy mustard and toasted mustard seeds. Eggs and flat leaf parsley and tangy apple cider vinegar. All brought together by honey and a nice olive oil.
And let’s just talk about how important olive oil is for a moment. The one thing some people find about this style of potato salad is that it can be a bit dry. That’s because the potatoes soak up the dressing when they sit. So be sure to drizzle extra olive oil over the salad before serving. This, I promise will add more flavour.
So after three attempts, the important ingredient conclusion to wrap this up for me was simple – use baby potatoes from your local farmer’s market. The ones that had been just picked. There in you will have a magnificent potato salad – that even non-potato eaters will like – regardless of what dressing you use, even if you go to the dark side and use mayo.
- 2 pounds baby potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 large bunch of green onions, white and light green parts chopped
- ¼ cup sweet pickles, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large handful of Italian or flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Steam your potatoes whole, about 20 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- Over a medium flame, toast the mustard seeds and remove from heat as soon as you see one or two jump. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the apple cider vinegar, grainy mustard and honey in a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly pour in the olive oil and whisk at the same time. Whisk until all three ingredients are well combined.
- Stir in the green onions, celery, sweet pickles, parsley and toasted mustard seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut your potatoes to your desired size - you can quarter them or halve them or slice them thickly and fold into the dressing. Then fold in the chopped eggs. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- This salad tastes great either served warm or cold. Either way, prior to serving it, drizzle with more olive oil first and enjoy!