“… ask for the good stuff…”
Sometimes we are forced to eat what is in our refrigerator because we don’t want to be wasteful. Today, I was forced to drink a Mango Margarita. I know, that’s horrible you must be thinking, but you know what? The mango did. not. go. to. waste. I took one for the team. Mangos and ginger go very well together, so I was on a mission to play with the super ripe mango in my fridge and see how well it would taste with ginger beer. I won’t lie; it was pretty good.
This recipe calls for mango nectar. If you can’t find mango nectar but have either fresh or frozen mango, you can make your own nectar by placing a few chunks into a blender and adding a tablespoon or two of water. Give it a good few seconds on high blend, and wallah! Mango nectar. The rest is a pretty simple concept: place ingredients into your cocktail shaker – the one with the strainer on top, yup that’s the one – and stir. Don’t be a buffoon like me and shake it as your ginger beer WILL declare it’s love for you… all over the front of your new shirt when you take the lid off. I didn’t like that shirt anyways.
And now the ginger beer. Unless you really want to get out of control, pick up a non-alcoholic type. This also works nicely for an upset tummy. But perhaps that should be saved for another post because this is a let’s have some fun post. Besides, I think flu season is almost over thank you very much.
Good quality tequila is a plus for anybody when making cocktails. Look for a tequila that is made of 100% agave. Any tequila that is not 100% agave is usually made with 51% agave and the other 49% is typically a glucose and fructose sugar. So ask for the good stuff because that is how nature and the Mexicans initially intended to make tequila. Wikipedia is a dangerous thing.
GM. A very old favourite. Not much to say about Grand Marnier except that it’s freeking delicious. It’s French. The French do no wrong when it comes to food and booze. I bow to you, French food people.
And one last tip when you’re ready to pour this little gem into your chalice – try using a smoked salt to rim the glass. It really gives the drink an interesting edge.
Asientos arriba chicas y chicos! (Bottoms up girls and boys!) Wikipedia is a dangerous thing ♥
- 1 teaspoon of peeled minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1.5 oz tequila
- 1 oz Grand Marnier
- ¼ cup mango nectar
- ¼ cup ginger beer
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt for the glass rim
- Place the minced ginger and sugar in a cocktail shaker and give it a good stir with a spoon.
- Add tequila, Grand Marnier, mango nectar, ginger beer, fresh lime juice, and ice.
- Stir well and strain into a your salt rimmed margarita glass. Garnish with an orange or mango slice and enjoy.
Inspired by a recipe from Food & Wine magazine