“… And in other news on the inter web today, …”
…the Log Cabin Girl has been asked to organize and arrange a wedding! Big Bear’s daughter who currently resides somewhere in Australia, is having a wedding celebration here in Canada and has asked me to put together this bash from start to finish. A big DIY task for sure. But big tasks that entail creativity do not deter me. They only make me quiver fearfully. A little. Just a little! But it’s kept me busy over this last week and so far has been a fun journey. I’ll keep you posted as the weeks wear on and hopefully I will not be pulling my hair out or knocking my head against one of our logs.
Speaking of knocking heads, there are some mornings where you wake up and think: this is a healthy breakfast morning… and other mornings are, i.e.; after an evening with your best friend in the whole world and a good bottle of wine, when you think something a little bit more substantial would work really really well. Well. This is the perfect morning-after brekky, that’s actually not that indulgent. Unless you want to load the French toast up with syrup. Now there’s an idea. Sweet and savoury. Oh yeah.
Which brings us to this savoury French toast loaded with Canadian bacon, cheese and a fried egg. Firstly, I guarantee that you will be full until way past lunchtime with this dish. And if you can get cornmeal crusted Canadian bacon ( hello my old friend Costco. I. Love. You.), then you are such a lucky duck. One of my all time favourites, the cornmeal crusted Canadian bacon – it’s like the allstar defensive end of your old high school football team: lean, moist and delicious – hello Big Bear, I’m talkin’ to you. Grrrrr…. meeeow! You are soo good looking and I love love love you. Still referring to Big Bear, but also to the bacon. Ahhhhh, I am in heaven.
- French Toast:
- 4 slices of thick cut French bread
- 2 eggs, beaten with ¼ cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoon of olive oil, divided
- Four ¾ inch slices of cornmeal crusted back bacon
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of shredded cheese, your choice
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Make the French toast:
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil in your non stick skillet set over medium high heat.
- Dip both sides of the sliced French bread in the egg / milk mixture and place in hot pan.
- Flip when bottom is golden brown.
- As the bottom is still cooking, carefully spread the Dijon mustard evenly over the side that you just flipped.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly on the toasts, cover and turn off the heat.
- As the cheese melts on the toasts, prepare your back bacon in a separate skillet.
- Over high heat, drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non stick skillet.
- Get the pan really hot before you place the back bacon in the skillet. The back bacon just needs to be crisped and warmed up. About 2 minutes per side.
- Place cooked back bacon on the cheesy French toasts, and keep covered.
- Clean out the back bacon skillet and drizzle in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Crack all four eggs into the skillet and turn the heat up to medium high.
- Prepare eggs as per your preference.
- Place 1 egg on each French toast and back bacon creation. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately.