“…well done. now lets go have some wine …”
This piece of corn. This. Oh my. It was an inspiration. I just saw it, sitting in the grocery store in the fresh produce isle. It gave me a little wink and a nod and said: “Briggy, you can make amaaaaazing things with me”. And, so, the corn was right.
It almost hurt to cut the corn off the cob, to disfigure this thing of beauty. But that’s ok, I was further encouraged by what would come. Enter red peppers, shallots. White wine. Chicken stock. Oh my – hmm. I think I said that already? A very quick and graceful rice dish this is. And to serve it with chicken, grilled lamb or fish. A wonderful partnership is about to transpire.
How easy is it to just sauté all of these fresh and colourful ingredients, add some wine and broth. Add the Jasmine rice and let it simmer for 25 minutes. Hey, life is hard enough sometime as it is. The corn and rice and herb angels want this to be easy for you. Yes. They are there looking over your shoulder and nodding knowingly. It just does not get any easier.
Finish it at the end with a handful of fresh basil, parsley and chives. Always wait til the end until you add your fresh herbs. They will embrace the flavours of the dish, and hold their own. It’s a thing of beauty.
I love this dish. It is so easy and quick. It’s not a coincidence that I chose this dish for a quick post tonight. Big Bear thinks I’m like a rice guru flavour genius. What? Corn and red peppers and basil? How the heck can you go wrong? You can’t. If you’re either serving this to guests for an elegant dinner party, or for a quiet intimate dinner with your own Big Bear – they will tell you. You are the rice Queen cooker of the Universe.
Well done. Now let’s go have some wine. ♥
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 fresh cob of corn (corn removed from the cob) or 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper.
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- ½ cup good white wine
- 2 cups prepared chicken stock, hot
- A handful of chopped fresh basil
- A handful of chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup of fresh chives, chopped
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, sauté shallots in your olive oil for about two minutes.
- Add red pepper and continue to sauté until tender, about two to three minutes.
- Add fresh or frozen corn and stir and let sauté for another minute or two.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir stir stir, and add the Jasmine rice. Stir until the rice is coated with the olive oil and is incorporated into the the shallots and corn and red pepper mixture, about a minute.
- Kick the heat up to medium high and add the white wine. Lower the heat to medium and let it simmer and reduce for about a minute, all the while stirring everything together.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover. Let simmer for 25 minutes.
- Before removing from heat, stir in the fresh parsley and basil
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with fresh chives.
- Serve immediately.